We’re all watching as the latest hurricane threat, Tropical Storm Isaac, creeps up on Florida. To make sure your home and roofing in Miami can protect your most valuable possessions from storm damage, A-1 Property Services would like to remind you of the following safety precautions to be taken now and down the road.
1. Protect windows. Close storm shutters over windows and exposed glass surfaces, including skylights and doors with windows. If you do not have or do not want hurricane shutters, pieces of marine plywood – marked and cut to fit each window and glass door – are a removable solution. For future protection, consider installing impact-resistant glass which is specially designed to withstand flying debris and strong winds.
2. Tie it down. Even nails can be pulled out of a roof by powerful winds. Help your roof resist the “uplift” effect by connecting trusses and rafters to the exterior frame of your home with metal hurricane straps.
3. Inspect the roof. Check your roof for holes or tears that could be ripped open, leaving your home exposed to the elements. Ensure gutter and downspouts are clear. Remove weak or dead trees and tree limbs on your property that could cause roof damage.
4. Secure your surroundings. Put away all outdoor furniture, yard ornaments, trash cans and anything else that is not tied down.
5. Create a “safe room.” As local authorities permit, you many choose to ride out the storm in an interior “safe room” of your house. Stock the room with a supply of nonperishable food, water, a first aid kit, a battery-powered radio and other things you’ll need.
Even the mildest hurricane can cause peripheral damage to your home’s exterior, from the roof to guttering and siding. For assistance, call A-1 Property Services today at (305) 547-8355 for a FREE in-home consultation, so we can help you make the best decisions to protect your home.