With time and exposure to the elements, the roof on your commercial property is bound to deteriorate even if you’ve maintained it and made necessary repairs. Waterproofing is an option that can restore and preserve the existing roof to prolong its useful lifespan and help you get the greatest possible ROI on this costly asset.
Why Miami Waterproofing Contractors Recommend This Process
Waterproofing offers three major benefits for your Miami commercial property:
- Resilience and flexibility. Waterproofing products are specifically designed to form a flexible, seamless barrier that shields all the existing components from damage caused by UV radiation, heavy rain, expansion and contraction, as well as general wear and tear.
- Time and cost savings. The waterproofing process takes a lot less time, is less disruptive, and can save you as much as 50 percent compared to the cost of a complete roof replacement.
- Warrantied protection. When waterproofing is done by a skilled, manufacturer-certified contractor, it can provide 20 to 30 years of warrantied leak protection for your commercial roof.
Is Your Commercial Roof a Candidate for Waterproofing?
There are specific products available to waterproof most types of commercial roof systems, including TPO, EPDM, PVC, metal, modified bitumen and built-up roofs (BUR). A knowledgeable local roofer who’s well-versed in the waterproofing process can assess your roof and advise you whether it’s a viable alternative, and which product is best-suited for your needs. Generally speaking, waterproofing is recommended for structurally-sound roofs where the membrane is well-adhered, there’s no decking or insulation deterioration, and no moisture retention issues.
The waterproofing process varies depending on your type of roof and the specific product used, but for the best possible results, it should include three key steps:
- A detailed roof inspection is necessary to identify any maintenance and repair issues so they can be addressed, such as tears, cracks, punctures and membrane seam separations, perimeter and penetration flashing damage, drainage system deficiencies, missing or loose mechanical fasteners, and decking or insulation deterioration.
- Once all the necessary repairs are made, the roof should be thoroughly cleaned to remove loose debris, accumulated grime and any mold or algae growth to ensure proper adhesion of the waterproofing material.
- After the roof is allowed to dry completely, your contractor should apply the waterproofing product according to the manufacturer’s installation guidelines.
Contact us at A-1 Property Services to have your commercial roof assessed by our knowledgeable and experienced Miami waterproofing contractors.