If you own a business in Miami, there’s a good chance you’ll need to consider getting a roof replacement at some point. Miami’s stormy, unpredictable climate takes a toll on roofs, so it’s a good idea to be prepared in case your roof ever gets damaged or worn down.
When you’re getting ready for a roof replacement there are a lot of things to consider. Going over the potential costs with your roofer while you’re still in the planning stages is a great idea. With that in mind, here are some of the biggest factors in determining your roof replacement’s final cost.
If your building has a flat or low-slope roof, there’s a good chance it’s going to use one of the following materials: single-layer membrane, modified bitumen, and built-up roofing. Here is what you need to consider with each option.
- Single-layer Membrane – Made from a variety of different materials, single-layer membrane roofs are single-ply sheets which are laid down in one layer. This roofing type is easy and convenient to place. However, it can be punctured more easily than other materials, making it more vulnerable to leaks.
- Modified bitumen – Modified bitumen is similar to asphalt but in a sheet form. It is very resistant to harsh weather conditions and can last for decades without needing replacement. If you need multiple layers of modified bitumen on your roof, it can become expensive to install.
- Built-up – This roofing uses multiple layers of material, usually bitumen, reinforcing fabric, and a layer of gravel on top. Built-up roofing is incredibly durable and weather resistant. Installation can take a long time, and it is usually the most expensive option.
Getting On the Roof
The answers to these questions will all affect the cost of your roof replacement. If you can make accessing your roof easier for your roofer, it can save you some money.
- How easy is your roof to access?
- How high up is your roof?
- Can your contractor easily transport materials to and from the roof without disrupting your business?
- Do you have space on your roof to store roofing materials?
- How close can your roofer park next to your building?
Getting Under the Roof
There’s much more to replacing a roof than simply applying a new top layer. Roofs are complex structures, and there is a lot your roofer may have to replace. These components include:
- The Roof’s Structure – Is the base of the roof made of concrete, metal, or wood? Whichever it is will be a significant factor in both the time it will take to replace the roof and the cost of materials.
- Insulation – What kind of insulation does your roof have? Do you want to change it? Getting pricier insulation could cost more now, but it can also pay for itself down the road. Be sure to go over all your options with your roofer and decide what’s best for your needs and budget.
- Cover Board – Cover boards are one of the most important parts of the roof, and they’re one that most people never see or think about. Cover boards are thin layers that give the top roofing layer something to adhere to. Cover boards are usually made from composite materials, which can include cement, gypsum, perlite, and wood mixed with resin.
Wind Loads and Building Codes
Is it windy on your roof? The force of the wind while on your roof can also affect roof replacement costs. A building with a higher wind load will need more durable materials and stronger fastenings.
Building codes are another thing you can’t forget. They change regularly, so making sure your building is up to code before and after your roof replacement is a good idea. Contact the City of Miami Building Department to find out the latest changes to codes.
If you are a business owner in Miami and need a roof replacement, call A-1 Property Services Inc. We offer the best combination of reliable service, top quality roof replacement, and excellent value to be found in Miami. Since 2005, we have offered dependable, superior roof repair and replacement to Miami businesses. In a city like Miami, you never know when you’re going to need a new roof. With roofing services from A-1 Property Services, you can be sure your roof will last long into the future. If you’re interested in hearing more about our services and want a quote, contact us!