There’s more to choosing an HVAC system than you think. Here are some things to consider to ensure the system you choose is right for your building.
1. Making sure it’s the right size
While it’s always important to properly size an HVAC system for home use, it’s perhaps even more critical for a commercial space.
The right-sized unit can handle the load of the components in your building – a load which contributes to heat loss, gain, cooling, and efficiency.
An HVAC system which is too large for your space may experience premature wear and tear, as well as higher energy bills. A system which is too small, on the other hand, can’t handle your building’s heating and cooling requirements.
2. Getting the right measurements
A knowledgeable HVAC contractor will take measurements of the structure while taking into account its construction and features. The proper measurements help the contractor determine the capacity need for the new system.
You should always have the contractor measure and assess your needs before they provide an accurate price quote. You won’t get an exact quote by describing your building’s measurements and HVAC needs over the phone.
3. Understanding that additional work may be needed
Additional work, such as ductwork installation and sealing, is often required during the new system’s installation. A qualified contractor will explain when and why extra work is needed.
4. Load calculation
Ask your HVAC contractor if a load calculation was performed before you hire them for your installation. What is a load calculation? Here’s a quick look:
- An HVAC technician uses the load calculation to determine the perfect size system for your business.
- The load calculation takes into account a variety of factors, including the building’s square footage, the structure’s foundation, the type of roof, appliances in the space which generate heat, the location of doors and windows, and more.
In the end, the right contractor can tell you exactly why they choose a specific model and capacity of an HVAC system for your property.
Call A-1 Properties if it’s time for a new HVAC system in your place of business. They have the experience and know-how to assess your needs and choose the proper system.